I guess it takes traveling to the other side of the globe to get me to actually post to this blog. Neil and I arrived last night in Roscoff, France. He is attending a conference where he gets to spend 4 fun-filled days listening to lectures of other scientists from around the world. I get to wander around, eat, look at the ocean, and miss my kids (well, we both get to do that last one). We left Friday (October 10) and flew from Sacramento to Salt Lake City. Aunt Barbara picked up Ben and Mary, and then Neil and I boarded a plane to Paris. Then we sat, and sat, and sat. Four hours later we took off. I guess there was a computer glitch in Atlanta that made them accidentally overload the plane in SLC by 3,000 pounds. The pilot decided the plane could fly with 3,000 fewer pounds of fuel (how is that possible?). They siphoned the fuel, and we were off. That was a really fun way to start a 9-hour flight. Needless to say, we were late getting to Paris which made us miss our connecting train. We had to buy new tickets on a later train (which I will make sure Delta reimburses us for), and we finally arrived at about 9:00 at night. Total travel time: About 29 hours. The good news is that we were so sleep-deprived before we left that we were able to get a little sleep on the plane, and had no trouble sleeping through the night here. I feel more alert today than I have felt for the last couple of weeks--I guess I had "pre" jet-lag.
Neil left the room at 7:30 this morning. I got to sleep in and eat a great breakfast in the hotel. Since my diet is out the window for the trip, I had a croissant baked with soft dark chocolate in the middle. I think I like French food. After breakfast I walked around for an hour and a half awed and amazed by the beauty around me. Even our hotel is beautiful (on the outside). It sits on the beach with views of the water one direction, and views of the town on the other. We are on the 4th floor and have an amazing view of the local Notre Dame Cathedral, the main streets, and if I stretch I can see the ocean. I am such a spoiled brat. I can't wait to see what is in store for us on this trip, although I miss Benjamin and Mary every second. Every time I see a child here I get a little sad, but I know they are having fun with their cousins, and are in good hands. Tomorrow Neil will be able to spend the afternoon and evening seeing the area with me. Check back for updates!
My cute kids at the airport having a Cinnabon breakfast of champions
Views from our hotel window
View of the hotel (white building, gray roof, far side) on the coast
3 comments:
I'm so ecstatic that you decided to go with Neil out to Europe! It's going to be awesome for you guys! It's so beautiful - keep us posted!
So sorry it took you guys so long to get there!! That is the worst.. to have a layover before your flight even begins. Looks like you guys are having a blast--- too bad we can't taste that food via the internet! =) We'll keep checking for updates and hopefully we can see pictures when you guys get back!
Laura, I love your travels - the pictures the explanations. It all looks so fun. I know you miss your kids (loved the breakfast of champions!) but I'm glad that you are enjoying every minute of this advwnture including pastries! Keep the posts coming and enjoy this time with your sweetie!
Post a Comment