Family Fun
Sunday, March 15, 2009
The Elmo Cake
To answer some questions I've had about how I made the cake: The cake looks harder than it was. I made a round cake for the face, and then trimmed the bottom to fit the shape of Elmo's chin. I made the rest of the batter into cupcakes for the eyes and nose. I froze them before trimming them down. I cut a shelf out of the round cake so the eyes would set in, and then used frosting to glue them into place. I also put some wooden skewers in at an angle for extra security (thank you, "Ace of Cakes") I did all the red/black frosting, and then I frosted the nose with white frosting. I then spread on this orange glittery decorating gel I got on clearance after Halloween (being cheap comes in handy). That's it! Mary loved it and it has been fun to see what that bright frosting does when it comes back out the other end :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so good at cakes!!! I remember learning how to roll and shape gum drops with you when you made the puppy cake!
Post a Comment